Cracking the Glass (Hospital) Ceiling: Gender Diversity in Health Care
Lagging Positions—and Pay
- The lack of flexible working arrangements to care for family.
- The lack of comprehensive federal paid parental leave policies.
- A persistent wage gap.
- An inability to access informal networks that are key pipelines for promotion.
- Lower levels of confidence and career ambition.
- The lack of a sponsor to promote their skills and abilities with others to help them climb the organizational ladder.
- Gender stereotypes and communication differences.
- Structuring decision-making groups to include women.
- Providing advancement opportunities.
- Offering rewards to those who help address the gender imbalances in top management.
- Recruiting a wider array of candidates.
- Providing flexible work arrangements.
- Helping executives accommodate the needs of their families.